Section 1256 Contracts

Section 1256 contract traders enjoy lower 60/40 tax rates, summary reporting and no need for accounting.

Section 1256 contracts include:
  • U.S. futures (regulated futures contracts) and options on futures
  • foreign futures with CFTC and IRS approval
  • broad-based indexes and options on broad-based indexes
    (a broad-based index is one that is made up of 10 or more securities)
  • forward forex with the opt out election into Section 1256g
    (we make a case for spot forex too)
  • options on commodities/futures ETFs taxed as publicly traded partnerships
  • other non-equity options

Section 1256 contracts bring meaningful tax savings throughout all tax brackets. These contracts have lower 60/40 tax rates, meaning 60% (including day trades) are taxed at the lower long-term capital gains rate and 40% are taxed at the short-term rate, which is the ordinary tax rate. At the maximum tax brackets for 2013 and 2014, the top Section 1256 contract tax rate is 28%, 12% lower than the top ordinary rate of 39.6%.

Section 1256 contracts are marked-to-market (MTM) on a daily basis. MTM means you report both realized and unrealized gains and losses at year-end. (Don’t confuse it with Section 475, which is also MTM but has different tax effects.) Many traders have small or no open positions on Section 1256 contracts at year-end.

With MTM and summary reporting, brokers are able to issue simple one-page 1099-Bs reporting “aggregate profit and loss” after taking into account realized and unrealized gains and losses. That amount is reported on Form 6781 Part I, which breaks it down to the 60/40 split and then moves those amounts to Schedule D capital gains and losses.

Unlike securities, Section 1256 contracts have a nifty tax-loss carryback election. On Form 6781, select the Section 1256 loss carryback but don’t enter the loss on the current year tax return. Instead, on amended tax return filings, apply the loss against Section 1256 gains. It’s a three-year carryback and unused amounts are then carried forward.

For more in-depth information on tax treatment for Section 1256 contracts, read Green’s Trader Tax Guide.

Contact us for assistance